Goa Lawah Temple or Bat Cave Temple is one of favorite places of interest in Bali and it is located near of hilly bank so it is called reef of Middle hill.
This cave is located in Pasinggahan countryside, Dawan sub district, Klungkung Regency, east part of Bali and about 1,5 hours from Denpasar Town. There is a nature cave dwelt by thousands of tail bat located at north side from Jeroan/center of Goa Lawah Temple.
Meanwhile the main road from Klungkung to Amlapura is just in front of the temple. This cave is apposite to the beautiful beach with black sand along the coastal area.
Pursuant to the papyrus of Dwi Jendra Tattwa, the Goa Lawah’s name is Goa Lelawah, the name which is given by Danghyang Nirartha (a priest overspread the Hindu teaching in Bali) when he stop in this place on his Tirtha Yatra trips. He arrive at a cave which is a lot of bats hang on and its unbroken voice clamor as hymn to add the beauty of the cave.
Therefore this cave is named by Goa Lawah/Bat Cave. On the above cave is growth by the flower trees with it’s smelt fragrance and stimulus the peace mind of Danghyang Nirartha, so that he overnight stay for some nights in this place. From the cave we see also the beautiful coast with the blue ocean with Nusa Penida Island as a backdrop.
Goa Lawah Temple History
- According to the chronicle of Bendesa Mas, it mentions that the elaborations of Mpu Kuturan (a Hindu priest who come from Java) then he live in Bali which has been hosted in Silayukti, Padang Bai. He also builds some temple like Goa Lawah Temple.
- According to the Papyrus of Dwijendra Tattwa, it narrates that after Danghyang Nirartha stay some nights at Goa Lawah, then he build a Kahyangan Temple on the ground. It means that Danghyang Nirartha extends the Palinggih or temple building existing at Goa Lawah Temple.
Function of Goa Lawah Temple :
- Based on Papyrus of Kusuma Dewa, it is Giha Lawah, a palace from Basuki god
- Based on Papyrus of Padma Bhuwana is explaining that in accordance to holy letter title Pentameter Aksara
- The structure of Goa Lawah Temple building is based on the temple building from Ista Dewata in particular of Padmasana which is located in front of Siwa Cave as power of entire universe potency
- Based on Lontar Babad Dalem is implying that Goa Lawah Temple as a good place to execute the Tirtha Yatra or Nyegara Gunung (meditation), because in this place there are nature potency of solidarity that is mount, the sea, goad an watu or petrify.
Temple festival at Goa Lawah is basically divided into 2 types that is Piodalan ceremony, and Ngusaba ceremony. On this event, many Hindu people from entire of the island come and pray. Goa Lawah is a place of interest in Bali and opened for visitors who wish to see the temple closely.